NZ ETS unit limits and price control settings for 2023-2027
Our first advice on updating the NZ ETS unit limits and price control settings for the next five years (July 2022)
In July 2022, we provided the Minister of Climate Change with our first advice on updating the NZ ETS unit limits and price control settings for the next five years.
The full report and related documents are available via the links below. More information is available in our media release on this advice.
- Read the full report online: Advice on NZ ETS unit limits and price control settings for 2023-2027 (July 2022)
- Download a copy of this report [PDF - 2 MB]
This advice is required under section 5ZOA of the Climate Change Response Act 2002. Read more about the NZ ETS and the Commission's role, or explore our other advice to Government on the NZ ETS.
Technical annex 1: Unit limit settings
- Technical annex 1: Unit limit settings [PDF - 757 KB]
- Supporting spreadsheet for technical annex 1 [.xlsx - 585 KB]
Technical Annex 2: ENZ modelling
- Technical annex 2: ENZ modelling [PDF - 936 KB]
- Supporting spreadsheet: Price controls modelling analysis [.xlsx - 1.46 MB]
Technical Annex 3: Electricity market modelling and retail price estimates
- Technical Annex 3: Electricity market modelling and retail price estimates [PDF - 667 KB]
- Supporting spreadsheet for Technical Annex 3 [.xlsx - 310 KB]
Modelling on the distributional impacts of emissions pricing – a Treasury report
This document provides information on analysis undertaken by the Treasury for the Climate Change Commission on the distributional impacts of emissions pricing.
- Cover note providing context for Treasury's modelling [PDF - 125 KB]
- TAR 318: Household expenditure impacts of ETS carbon prices [.ZIP - 3.32 MB]
NZ ETS price control mechanisms - a review of issues
This document discusses the settings of the cost containment reserve and auction reserve price mechanisms, taking account of new information since their introduction, including significant changes in prices of New Zealand Units (NZUs) and recent events in which the CCR has been triggered.